Sunday 31 January 2016

How much to buy a new remote key fob from Peugeot dealership for a Peugeot 207

Less than a year ago I purchased a second hand Peugeot 207. Unfortunately the key fob that was provided only opened the door and started the car manually as the remote function was no longer working. In addition the key was flimsy as the two halves of the key which clipped together had become loose over time.

I had contemplated getting another key or fixing the existing key but I dreaded the expense of it as I had seen some horrendous figures from forums online. However, one day when I was in a rush I locked the car manually and walked off and pulled the key but it didn't fully make it out of the lock. As a result the key snapped in two with little chance of piecing it back together.

So in the end I had to bite the bullet and buy a new key and I thought I would document the full process for others who may have to do the same.

Initial phone call

I called a dealership in my local area and asked how much it would be for a new key and what the process would be. The customer service person took my car details and then said I would need to visit the dealership and bring my log book with me.

Old Peugeot 207 key
The initial visit

Upon arrival at the dealership I sat at the customer service desk and explained the situation. I decided to bring all of the documentation I had received with the car just in case their was anything else required. I was asked for a utility bill to prove my address (which I didn't have with me) but I used my driving license instead.

I was asked for the key fob code card which tells Peugeot the code they will need to program into the key to match my car. I wasn't supplied this with the car so I was told that I needed to pay £19.99 for this in addition to the cost of the key. After signing a form or two and using the £19.99 as a deposit I was told that the key would be ordered and should be back at the dealership within 10 days.

Text and booking

10 days later I received a text telling me that my key had arrived and I just needed to book the car in. I arranged a time for the same week and opted to wait for the work to be carried out as I couldn't get a lift from the dealership.

New Peugeot 207 key
Day of the work

Shortly after arriving I was seated with a service desk person who filled out the paperwork. I was told that the work would take roughly 1 hour 30 minutes to complete  and would cost £142.26. After paying this amount I made my way to the seating area where a staff member made me a coffee while I waited.

After an hour (quicker than I had expected) I was told that my car was ready and I was given my old and new key fobs.

A week later

I received a courtesy call asking if everything was OK with my new key !

Final cost breakdown

Key code cost : £19.99

Lab to carry out programming of key : £48.40
Work to sync key with car * : £70.15
VAT for Lab & Sync : £23.71

Total I paid for a new key : £162.25

*Listed as 'Allocate recall C' & "Allocate prepricke" on statement.

Conclusion

Overall I was impressed with the service that Peugeot provided, however, the cost of the key seems very steep for what you get. Dealerships are known for the their high prices/ripping people off so it didn't come as much of a surprise.

If this article helped you or you have your own experience you would like to share, please add your comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment