Thursday 12 January 2017

What Is The Cost Of Replacing A Rear Window In The Back Of A Peugeot 206

Smashed 206 Back Window
I received a knock on the door from a neighbor one day who  said "Sorry mate but I think someone has smashed in the back window on your car ".  Unfortunately there were no parking spaces outside my house the night before so I parked it further up the road towards our local pub  so I wasn't able to see it from my house.

As I left the house and walked up the road part of me was hoping that my neighbor was confused and that somebody else's car had been damaged but unfortunately I was greeted with the scene in the picture on the right which was my car.

I obviously went through the natural emotions that come with seeing your property mindlessly damaged  by someone you will never get to confront  but once I got over that and some inner grumbling about broken Britain, the youth of today and Drunken punters,   I needed to figure out what I was going to do.

The first thing I did was call the police who told me that unless I had  video evidence of who did it they would not be investigating it.  This was not very helpful but they did give me a crime reference number for my insurance company.  When I called the insurance company they told me that I did not have window cover on my policy and even if I did I would need to pay a £250 excess.

It was at this point that I realized that  not only had my property been damaged causing me great inconvenience but it was also going to cost me quite a lot of money to get it fixed.  I called around a few local window repair places and came across one that seemed helpful and well priced.  The other bonus was that they could fit me in the next day which meant that my car only had to be unsecured overnight.

I taped some plastic sheeting to the inside of the back window and the boot as a best effort to keep out the pouring rain (which decided to start as soon as I went to the car !!) and finished up by clearing the broken glass out of the street.

The next day I visited the windscreen repair place and they said that they will get it sorted within the hour  and fit a replacement window.  He told me the back window was actually the worst to get broken because it has the rear heated element running through the glass.

I watched the guy doing the job and everything went smoothly apart from the fact that they could not open the boot. The reason for this is that the glass had shattered and gone down into the frame of the boot and it was actually blocking the mechanism from working.  Thankfully the guys were very used to this kind of issue but he did tell me that the shards of glass get everywhere and although they will do their best they won't be able to get every single piece out because it works its way into the frame of the car.  I wasn't too bothered by this as long as it got fixed and to their credit they did work very hard to try and remove as much glass as possible from the boot. I did occasionally hear a few pieces rattling around as I was driving around but it was nothing major .

Due to the issue with the boot it did take just over an hour to get my car sorted and cost £210  but my window was fixed,  the car was secure again and the rear heated element did get reattached and was working.

I would like to think that my experience was the last piece of mindless vandalism that would take place but I'm guessing as you're reading this it may have happened to you so my apologies. Hopefully you found this blog post helpful and if you would like to share your experience please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment