Wednesday 20 May 2015

Cigarette lighter broken in Peugeot 207

Cigarette-Lighter-Plug
I recently purchased a Peugeot 207 only to find a week later that the cigarette lighter didn’t work. I did some searching on the web to find a solution but there were no clear instructions only random suggestions in forums. I had visited a Peugeot dealer who rather than give me any advice on possible causes could only say that they would charge me £60 just to take a look at the issue.

As a result I decided to investigate the problem myself. I am pleased to report that my cigarette lighter is now working and the problem was just a burned-out fuse. Therefore I will now demonstrate how to locate and change the cigarette lighter fuse in a Peugeot 207.

1. Make sure your ignition is turned off and the key is removed.

IMG_1340
2. The cigarette lighter fuse case can be found within the glove compartment on the passenger side of the car.









IMG_1341
3. Open the fuse compartment










IMG_1338
4. The actual fuses were not apparent to me from the vantage point of the passenger seat so you have to move lower to see them lined up.  The cigarette lighter fuse can be found at F9 and is 30 A.









IMG_1351IMG_1350
5. In order to remove the fuse you will probably need to use the fuse tool that should be attached to the back of the fuse compartment panel.














IMG_1345
6. Use the tool like tweezers to grab the F9 fuse and pull it out.













IMG_1352IMG_1361
7. Inspect the fuse and you should be able to see if the fuse has in fact blown as it will be broken in the middle.The picture on the right shows the fuse I removed and the picture below is the new replacement.












IMG_1346IMG_1342
8 . Take your new fuse in the fuse tool and place it into the (now empty) F9 slot. You may not be able to push it all the way in with the tool but once it’s in the hole you can use your finger to press it all the way in.
















IMG_1349
9. You should now have the new fuse in position.












IMG_1350
10. Clip your fuse tool back onto the fuse box cover.













IMG_1340
11. Replace the fuse box cover within the glove compartment.










12. Turn your ignition on and test your cigarette lighter.

You should now be able to use your Sat Nav and light your cigarettes without any problems :-)

If it is a fuse issue it should be really easy to troubleshoot as you can see the breakage in the fuse itself (as shown in the pictures above), however, if the fuse appears to be OK then use a torch to check that no debris has fallen into the cigarette lighter slot as even a small amount can cause it not to function.

Hopefully this has been helpful for you and please leave a comment below to let me and other readers know how you got on.

**Thank you to all the people who have commented so far !!**

22 comments:

  1. Yay! You have helped so much with this post! Brilliant! Thank you. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers pal life saver. Yes I could of gone through them all but you sent me straight to the burnt out one. At last I can find my way around again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found the fuse but it was OK. Discovered the problem was a piece of cellophane had slipped into the lighter socket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - I had EXACTLY the same problem (probably caused by overloading the Cigarette Lighter socket...by putting in a 4-way splitter - plus TWO mobile phone chargers - plus having one of the Map lights on)!


    BUt thanks to your excellent tutorial / images I FINALLY managed to replace the Fuse!


    Taking off the Fusebox cover was a real pain - and removing the old Fuse was also tough - but it took me over 30 minutes to get the new Fuse in! Tried and failed to do it with the Tweezer tool - so had to use just my fingers - but Happy Days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cigarette lighter won't even come out of the socket, is this because the fuse is blown? should it come out when I hold the button down?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much for your work investigating this and also saving the rest of us a small fortune on this 50p piece fuse...may you live long and prosper...Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for taking the time to give very clear instructions and images to help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb very helpful. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a professor! Thank you very mich!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! Very thorough tutorial. Appreciate it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a whole lot i followed the steps and got my cigarette lighter fixed.You are Amazing!!!Saved me a couple of Euro's ��

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is soooooooooooo hard to do! Its very difficult to access where you are meant insert the new fuse. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't seem to get the new fuse into the F9 hole! Other wires obscure access and you can't even really get your hand in the fuse recess. Any tips please?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice one. I've an issue with this. And the stereo not working. Fingers crossed it's just fuses. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fuse is good (a real pain to access) but still the cigarette lighter power source is not working - I will need to dig deeper in order to be able to power my SatNav! Thanks anyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you find the solution, I have the same problem

      Delete
  16. Excellent tutorial. There is no mention of the lighter fuse in the fuses section of the Peugeot handbook #$%$#@

    ReplyDelete
  17. can you guys help. i cant find this fuse for the cigarette lighter. it is 6 along but my panel is not like that. HELP

    ReplyDelete
  18. im having difficulty with this. it is along six to find the fuse but along six in my fuse area it is the 3 thirty fuses that should have nothing to do with it, HELP

    ReplyDelete
  19. Worked first time brilliant method thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks alot it. You have been very helpful

    ReplyDelete