Wednesday 20 May 2015

The oil cap on my car won’t unscrew

IMG_1319 I recently purchased a new car and once I got it home I checked the dipstick and found that there was little to no oil. Adding oil to the car is so easy even I could do it however when I came to unscrew the cap it would move slightly and then get stuck.

As the panic started to kick in I applied more and more brute force with my hands but unfortunately this did not work. Thankfully the concept of leverage came into my mind and I went hunting for the biggest spanner I could find in my toolbox. I placed this over the cap and then slowly started to turn in the direction it had been moving previously.

I increased the pressure and at a certain point the cap turned and popped out.


I added the oil to the car and then used some excess oil to put around the threads of the cap to make it easier to screw back on.

This is a very simple problem but it may catch a few people out so I thought I would write a post about it.

Hopefully this has been helpful for you and please leave a comment below to let me and other readers know how you got on.

No comments:

Post a Comment