Wednesday 20 May 2015

How to change a brake light on a Peugeot 207

Peugeot_207_Sport_Rear_Side_View
A week after I purchased my new car a warning message popped up on my dashboard saying that there was a fault with my left brake light. After taking a closer look outside of the car I could see that my left brake light was no longer working.
I am a complete novice when it comes to car repair but I thought that it was time for me to dive in and have a go. I also thought it was highly embarrassing for a grown man to take his car to the garage for a tiny light bulb change !!.

Despite spending some time online trying to find a tutorial to follow I was unable to locate one, therefore I promised myself that if I was able to complete the job I would post the process online for other newbies to follow.

1. Open the boot

IMG_1302
2. On the inside of the boot look behind the brake light that needs replacing













IMG_1303
3. You should see a black nut















IMG_1309
4. Place one hand over the light and reach into the car and start unscrewing the black nut. Before too long you will see that the light starts to loosen in your hand.












IMG_1316
5. Support the weight of this and start to unclip the red section from the black section at the back.













IMG_1310IMG_1311
6. Put the red section down and remove the faulty bulb.






















IMG_1307
7. Open your new packet of bulbs















IMG_1313
8. Replace the faulty bulb with the new one











IMG_1314
9 . Carefully feed the red section of the light over the black section by sliding the bulbs through the holes and clip it back into place.













IMG_1317
10 . Line up the pin on the outer edge of the light with the corresponding hole.














IMG_1308
11 . Feed the screw that is on the back of the black section back through into the boot













IMG_1303
12 . Add the black nut and tighten














IMG_1300
13 . Now when you get back in the car and start up the engine the brake light should work and you will no longer get a brake light fault warning on the dashboard.











Hopefully this has been helpful for you and please leave a comment below to let me and other readers know how you got on.

Thank you to the people who have already commented :-)

14 comments:

  1. [All good, No good] - thank you for leaving a comment, I'm really glad it helped you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. Easy when you know how.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helped me a lot. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great precise instructions. Just followed it to change my brake light on my 207 and it was really straightforward. 5-10 mins from start to finish. H Mole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brill - nice and clear. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot! That was a great help to me. I was in exactly the same boat, not knowing the first thing about cars . . . worked like a charm: cheers! Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much! I echo all the positive comments in here; without your guide I would not have had the confidence to start the job. You are obviously a very good person to go to all that trouble to help others, and I want you to know it's appreciated...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really helpful, clear instructions. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Job done, thanks for the help.
    Just a warning, plastic tabs which have to bend to release are notoriously easy to snap off (it happens on motorbike side panels all the time) so take it nice and slow and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Male ego it maybe but we don't want to admit to our significant others that we need to pay someone to change a bulb. Thanks for the informative article. My girlfriends car now has working brake lights and I have scored a few brownie points in the process. I hope her cylinder head gasket doesn't go, though as "eerrr I haven't brought my tool kit with me, love!".
    Seriously this was a great help and turned put to be a simple job.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks very much. I have also been told to use a cloth to hold the new bulb while fitting and not to touch with bare fingers as it can damage the bulb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks helps a great deal .... do you know if bulbs are single element or double for this model Peugeot 207

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you tell me where the brake light switche is located on the 207 please. I have changed bulbs after I had a warning that my right brake light was faulty but bulbs and fuses are fine, so it must be switch.

    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete