Wednesday 20 May 2015

Peugeot 207 water moving and sloshing around in dashboard

image
I recently purchased a Peugeot 207 and noticed that when I turned a corner I could hear a sloshing water sound coming from the dashboard.

I had heard this previously on the test drive and had mentioned it to the dealer but he told me that they had jet washed the car shortly my arrival and the sound was just residue water left in the drains.

He reassured me it would not last long (and why wouldn’t you trust a used car dealer !).
However after a week I was still hearing water moving around in the car and since it had been raining the water volume sounded like it had increased. I looked around online and all I could find were forums saying that the problem is likely to be a blocked drain underneath the scuttle (the grill located under the windscreen).
I am a total novice when it comes to car repair, with the extent of my knowledge being able to drive and fill the car with petrol, therefore, I was looking for some clear instructions and some pictures to help me investigate. Despite a lot of googling I was unable to find a tutorial so I thought I would try and fix it myself and if I was successful I would post the results online to help fellow drivers that have encountered the same issue.

Solution 1

hanger
The drain that was blocked on my car was on the passenger side and I realised (unfortunately after completing solution 2) that the drain could probably have been unblocked by using a wire coat hanger strategically fed through the scuttle and into the drain. See picture right.






Solution 2

If trying to unblock the drain by feeding a ‘tool’ through the scuttle does not work you will need to remove a few items to access the drain below. This is quite a fiddly job but it is not difficult.

1. Open the bonnet - On my car the handle to open the bonnet is in the passenger footwell.

IMG_1321
2. Remove the caps on the wiper arms - Use a flathead screwdriver and remove the caps that are over the nuts on the wiper arms













IMG_1326IMG_1324
3. Remove the nuts - Once the nuts are exposed use a ratchet and socket or a large spanner to remove the nuts.





















IMG_1328
4. Mark wiper arm position - Use some nail varnish to mark the spindle and the blade arm to show the position that the wiper arms are currently in. This is an extremely important step because if you don’t do this once the work is done and you reattach the arms they might be in the wrong position and will not function correctly.










IMG_1330
5. Remove the wiper blade arms -  Depending on how often and recently the arms were removed it may be that you are not able to just lift them off. In my case they were completely stuck so I used a large spanner and placed one edge on the spindle and the other edge underneath the wiper arm and tightened. If you rotate the spanner upwards from this position it provides just enough in the leverage to free up the arm for removal.












IMG_1333IMG_1334
6. Remove rubber protectors - Once the arms are removed you need to remove the rubber protectors around the outside of the arms. These should come out quite easily just by pulling them but if they do need a bit of help just gently prise them out with a flathead screwdriver.



















IMG_1335
7. Remove the scuttle to expose the drain - Now comes the fiddly part-removing the scuttle. There are no specific clips to hold the scuttle in place but it can be tricky to remove because you have to free it up in stages. The way I did it was to unclip the left side then the right. Then unhook it all the way along the front before finally wiggling it around until it popped out of the groove along the back edge by the windscreen.








puddle
8 . Unblock the drain - As you can see from the picture a puddle of water has formed over the top of the drain and it is this water that I could hear sloshing around.
In order to clear the blockage  I pushed my finger down the hole and the water just poured out the bottom. I used clean water to swill around the area to remove any other debris that could block the drain in the future.




9. Replace the scuttle - Again this was very fiddly because you have to get the left and right sides over the foam panels and then make sure the groove at the back of the scuttle fits snugly against the windscreen. On my car it was difficult to get the scuttle back into this groove so I had to apply a bit of brute force by pressing down on it as hard as I could and eventually by working my way along the length of it I managed to click it all into place. Once I clipped the front edge back in it clicked in even further and the edges were all restored.

10. Replace rubber mouldings  - Place the rubber mouldings back into the holes around the wiper arm spindles.

11. Replace wiper arms - Get your wiper blade arms and line the nail varnish marks back up and push the arms back onto the spindle. Once you’re happy these are in the correct position at the nut and tighten.

12. Replace the caps – Add the caps back onto the nuts and the entire job is complete.

It has now been two weeks since I did this, I have experienced heavy rain in that period and that there has been no further water sounds coming from the car. Now I have seen the location of the drain and know how to get to it if the problem does occur in the future I will probably try Solution 1 first however now that I know how easy it is to do this job I wouldn’t hesitate to do Solution 2 again if I needed to.

Hopefully this has been helpful for you and please leave a comment below to let me and other readers know how you got on.

32 comments:

  1. Hi..,I have recently bought a peoguet 207 and have the same problem was really pleased to come across your post as I'm a lady driver on my own but knew hearing the water wasn't right. I'm in my 60 's so doubt I would be able to take this task on but wonder how much a garage would charge .

    ReplyDelete
  2. All Good author : Thank you for your comment Peach. I would try solution 1 first as it isn't very labour intensive and if that doesn't work i would take it to an independent garage with a print out of this article explaining what needs to happen.

    If you take it to Peugeot they charge you a fortune just to look at the issue.

    Hope this helps. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I managed to drain the accumulated water by using a stiff wire. Thanks for the pictures, they did help. I was able to find the hole easily and wash the pipe with some water. Question: Does the 207 have a hole on both sides as I only found the one on the left (looking from inside)?
    Cheers,
    László

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes and i found the drivers side harder to get at

      Delete
  4. All good blog author : Thank you for your comment Laszlo. I'm glad the article helped. The hole shown in the article (i.e. the one you found) is the only one the Peugeot has.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ace Tip ! Thanks mate , I was contemplating taking it in , but luckily saw your solution . I was able to lift the mesh and get my hand in and push through the plug and drained it all out. Many thanks again .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip mate, was contemplating taking it to the garage as well. I could get my hand under the mesh and poke my finger to unblock the drain.

    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the details shown I'm going to attempt this issue tomorrow as it sounds like I've got an aquarium behind the dashboard.
    All I need is some fish.
    I too have a peugeot 207 with exactly the same problem,
    Typical of the French they don't get as much rain as we do.
    I just hope I will be able to correct this scary problem as there's electric wires behind the dash that works the windscreen wipers etched etched so wish me good luck.
    John Sharman Northwich Ches,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very useful article. I managed to get to my drain hole by bending down the foam seal just to the right of the drain area and poked a long screwdriver through. Bizarrely, my drain cover had a piece of plastic glued over the hole which was not an original car part. Just some random bit that had been roughly cut around the edges. It seems to have been stuck on in the factory as I had the car from new!!! The Problem is now sorted now it has been removed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thank you sir fantastic guide i had this problem all sorted now

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent! Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very useful, in my case the water got so high that it poured through the air pipe and got under the passenger seat. Finally, with the help of this article, I've managed to drain the water from the dashboard. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    Literally just used this tip after finding this post with a quick Google search. We had water sloshing around in our 207 after the recent downpours. My partner noticed that the back of her wide trousers were wet so I investigated and found a damp car mat so the water can make its way inside.
    I found that the drain on the passenger side can be accessed by pulling out the grid enough to get your hand in there and push a straightened coat hanger up and down the drain tube a few times. This cleared the water and dead leaves.
    Thanks for the great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment comes really late but this has been so helpful! Did it in less than a minute thanks to your instructions :) So glad I didn't make an unnecessary trip to a garage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much!! It was really helpful! In my case.. the issue was on the passenger side..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brillianty explained thank you

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Thanks for info just done daughters 208. Drain on passenger side on bottom. Loads of water!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi excellent article just found water in drivers footwell so will try to cure using this guide. Will post my result tommorow

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is a much easier way! I did not remove anything to clean the drain holes. In the passenger side I just used a long pointy plastic stick. I inserted it through one of the holes in the plastic "grill" and into the drain hole. It took 10 sec. On the right side, where the drainhole is not visible, I took off the cap to the pollen filter. Put my hand inside where I felt a rubber "thing" with my fingers. Then I took a small screwdriver, put my hand in again and used the screwdriver to clean the drain. Next time I have to do it, it can be done in 5 minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for writing this - hugely appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I recently bought a old but nice 207 that swished water when cornering. Never had that before! Checked every box section and eventually found the trough blocked. I did not know there were 2 drains, so thank you so much. Water got in and soaked the underlay which is a pig to remove, so now I'll check the drains regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for this useful information, which is not mentioned anywhere in the user manual. It is easy to do and could have saved me from having to remove the underlay - a pig of a job if there ever was one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are a lifesaver! Bought the car on Saturday, went for a drive and wasn't sure whether or not I was actually hearing water! 5 mins this morning and the drain is cleared - many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much, I have had my 207 for a year now , and also had the problem for the same period, will now sort the problem out . Kind regards mr Meades

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great Post. Thanks for taking the time to show all that...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I managed to do the passenger side without removing the grille, it just pulled up enough for me to get to it. I removed the plastic bottom to the rubber cup so hopefully it'll drain now. The driver's side I gave up on with scratched hands and aching fingers. I believe you can remove the wheel and wheel arch liner to get to it, but I'm banking on the water sloshing across when driving and running out of the other side. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you, I had sloshing and water in the driver's foot well. There was enough flex in the scuttle to lift just the corner above the drain hole for easy access to clear the leaves which were blocking it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Did this in less than a minute:lifted the mesh, pulled out bung with my hands. Water drained. Cleaned the bung and refitted. Drove around some bends to make the water move from drivers side to drain. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Had this issue tonight, successfully unclogged the drain from drivers side (I'm not in the UK so it's on right side looking at the bonnet from outside). Did not managed to find the left one since it's night, going to try tomorrow morning. Anyway, I unclogged one and then drove around the block so the water moved and drained trough other side. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much for this. I was having serious electrical problems and bringing the car to the garage I kept being charged for replacement parts without resolving the issue. I eventually found this article and all the problems vanished the moment I removed the water

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for this! I bought a 207 a month ago. First time Peugeot owner. I could hear the sloshing, just thought it was because my antifreeze was well over the maximum. Had a service and had the antifreeze changed meaning it was now at the right level but still had the sloshing! I didn’t know if it was just a 207 thing and was normal so I googled it to make sure and Google led me to you. I’ve fixed the issue immediately!! Thank you! From a lady owner who knows a bit about cars but would have had to take it to a garage for reassurance had I not found your info!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am really deeply grateful to you. You have helped me a lot. In addition, it is very nice to know that there are such kind people who want to help others and share their hard-earned experience.

    ReplyDelete